Athens, TXPersonal Injury Lawyer

How to Get a Copy of Your Texas Car Accident Report

Make sure you have the evidence you need to support your claim

When you’re injured in a car wreck in Texas, one of the most critical early steps is to get a copy of the police accident report. This document, officially called the Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report (Form CR-3), is a key piece of evidence. Insurance companies review this report when deciding claims, and you need to know what it says, too.

The easiest way to get a copy of your accident report is to simply contact our law firm. We can handle the request for the report on your behalf and review it with you in a free consultation. If there are any inaccuracies in the report, we can also help set the record straight.

The process to request a car accident report in Texas

Texas car accident reports are usually available within about a week after the day of the accident, but sometimes take up to three weeks. If you need to request your own copy, you can do so through the Texas DOT Crash Report Online Purchase System. You will need to provide one of four pieces of information to find your report:

  • The full legal name of a person involved in the accident.
  • The driver’s license or ID card number of a person involved in the accident. On Texas licenses, this is an 8-digit number located on the front of the card near the top.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN) of an involved vehicle. This is a unique, 17-digit number used to keep track of a specific vehicle even if it changes owners or is re-registered in a different state. Here’s where to find the VIN:
    • On a car, truck, van, or SUV: the VIN is usually printed on the front of the dashboard on the driver’s side, behind the steering wheel. The easiest way to see it is to stand in front of the car and look through the bottom of the windshield. You can also find the VIN on the driver’s side door pillar, where the door connects to the rest of the car.
    • On a motorcycle: usually, the VIN is printed on the steering neck, below the handlebars. If it’s not there, check on or near the engine.
    • On paper: the VIN should be printed on the vehicle’s title, registration, and insurance policy documents. You may also be able to find it on other vehicle-related documents like maintenance records or inspection reports.
  • The 8-digit TxDOT Crash ID assigned to that particular accident. You can get this from the law enforcement agency that investigated your accident, such as the Henderson County Sheriff or the Texas Highway Patrol.

Again, you can skip the hassle and contact Weinstein Law to request the accident report on your behalf.

An attorney can fight for your rights throughout the process

While the crash report is crucial evidence in your case, it’s not the final word. Police accident reports are the product of an initial investigation, often completed by an officer with more generalized training not specifically focused on car accident investigations. Nevertheless, as your attorney, we can review the accident report, explain how it could affect your legal rights, and, if necessary, ask for an amendment or supplemental report to set the record straight.

If you’ve been involved in a car wreck in Henderson County or anywhere in East Texas, you need your accident report, and you need legal advice. Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation. There is no cost or obligation to hire us, just answers from a car accident attorney you can trust.


518 East Tyler Street #100, Athens, TX 75751

ContactUs Now
Free Case Consultation